Centre of Plant Structural and Functional Genomics
The Centre of Plant Structural and Functional Genomics has been established to study the structure and function of nuclear genome in higher plants. The main focus is on economically important crops like cereals, legumes, bananas and plantains.
Methodological approaches involve classical and molecular cytogenetics, flow cytometry and sorting, recombinant DNA techniques and construction of chromosome and chromosome-arm specific BAC libraries. Because of the complexity of research projects, the Laboratory collaborates with many research groups throughout the world. The laboratory staff is also involved in teaching and technology transfer, including consultancy services in the above mentioned areas.
Flow cytogenetics involve chromosome analysis and sorting using flow cytometry applications of sorted chromosomes include physical mapping using PCR, targeted isolation of molecular markers, isolation of low-copy (genic) sequences from specific genome regions, high-throughput physical mapping of DNA sequences by hybridization to DNA arrays, as well as HAPPY and optical mapping.
Chromosome-based BAC libraries recources
The most attractive use of sorted chromosomes is the production of chromosome- and chromosome arm-specific DNA libraries. Such libraries provide a permanent and easily accessible molecular resource specific for a particular part of the genome, is expected to have a major impact on wheat genomics.
Flow cytometry is powerful technique with many application. We used it for genome size estimation, ploidy measurement and flow karyotype analysis of higher plants.
We interested in molecular evolution and organization of Musa genome and serve as the Musa Genome Resources Centre (MGRC). The primary aim of the Centre is to support research activities of the Musa Genomics Consortium by distributing Musa genome resources to Consortium Members and by developing new resources.
Study on Festuca-Lolium complex
We are using molecular cytogenetic methods (FISH and GISH) to study genomic constitution of Festuca × Lolium hybrids, chromosome pairing during meiosis, and to map BAC clones on chromosomes of Festuca pratensis. In collaboration with other labs, we also developed set of introgression lines of all F. pratensis chromosomes in tetraploid L. multiflorum and DArT chip for five species within Festuca-Lolium complex.
head of the laboratorysenior scientist
- Prof. Ing. Jaroslav Doležel DrSc.
graduated technical assistant
- Eliška Čamková DiS.
- Mgr. Marek Glombik
- Mgr. Veronika Kapustová
- Mgr. Martin Kovačik
- Mgr. Kateřina Lahnerová
- Mgr. Alžběta Němečková
- Mgr. Kateřina Perničková
- Mgr. Klara Prochazkova
- Mgr. Lucie Šimková
- Mgr. Denisa Šimoníková
- Mgr. Beáta Strejčková
- Mgr. Radim Svačina
- Mgr. Zuzana Tulpová Ph.D
- M.Sc. Fen Yang
- Mgr. Jana Zwyrtková
- Ing. Radoslava Kvasnič...
- Spolupráce s Bioversity International na globální analýze a uchovávání genetické diverzity banánovníku , Veřejná soutěž ve výzkumu, vývoji a inovacích , Jaroslav Doležel
- Evolution and function of complex plant genomes , GA ČR , Jaroslav Doležel
- Physical map of wheat chromosome arm 7DS and its use to clone a Russian wheat aphid resistance gene , GA ČR , Hana Šimková
- Sex chromosome evolution - chromosome-specific genomics in genus Silene , GA ČR , Jan Šafář
- Will orchids reshape our understanding of genome-wide processes? Solving the enigma of progressively partial endoreduplication , GA ČR , Jan Vrána
- PLANT CELL 12 433-442 2000
- 3rd International Crop Science Congress (ICSC). August 17-22 (Hamburg) Germany 2000 Fulltext: public PDF link
- SEED SCIENCE RESEARCH 9 297 – 304 1999
- PLANT JOURNAL 14 751-757 1998
Treatment of Vicia faba root tip cells with specific inhibitors to cyclin-dependent kinase leads to abnormal spindle formation.PLANT JOURNAL 16 697-707 1998
- CELLULAR & MOLECULAR BIOLOGY LETTERS 3 310-310 1998
Inoculation of barley with biofertilizers under different levels of nitrogen application in the newly reclaimed landsNile Valley and Red Sea Regional Program (NVRP) Ninth Annual Coordination Meeting (Cairo) Egypt. 11-15 September 1997 1997 Fulltext: public PDF link
Actin distribution in somatic embryogenesis and embryogenic protoplasts of white spruce (Picea glauca).IN VITRO CELLULAR & DEVELOPMENTAL BIOLOGY 32 59-65 1996
- Nile Valley and Red Sea Regional Program (NVRP) Eight Annual Coordination Meeting (Cairo) Egypt 16-21 September 1996 1996 Fulltext: public PDF link