Plant Reproduction Laboratory
We study a molecular background of flowering in the genus Chenopodium and cytoplasmic male sterility in Silene vulgaris. Both model plants are members of the same order –Caryophyllales. Interest in plant reproduction and plant evolution arose from previous projects focused on the genetic diversity of wild plant species.
The genus Chenopodium contains both short-day and long-day plant species. A short-day species Chenopodium rubrum has been a traditional model of flowering investigated for a long time. A surprising feature of C. rubrum is its sensitivity to photoperiodic induction at seedling stage - at age of about five days. We have identified Chenopodium homologues of the genes CONSTANS and Flowering locus T, which play crucial roles in the course of photoperiodic induction of flowering in Arabidopsis thaliana. We study their expression in seedlings and mature plants of C. rubrum under various physiological conditions.
We noticed that FT- like genes could serve as molecular markers, particularly informative for phylogenetic studies of the complex group C. album sensu lato.
The second project, currently starting in our lab, is an investigation of cytoplasmic male sterility in Silene vulgaris. We focus on variation in mitochondrial transcription among natural populations as well as on the basis of inheritance of mitochondrial DNA. We are searching for the genes encoding cytoplasmic male sterility in this species.
We collaborate with Radomira Vankova who studies metabolism of cytokinins in transgenic tobacco under drought stress. We benefit from methods of plant gene expression analysis, adopted in the course of investigation of flowering (qRT PCR, Northerns with DIG labeled probes).
- Diamanty v prachu. Genetické základy květní indukce u zástupců rodu Chenopodium s kontrastní odpovědí na fotoperiodu. , GA ČR , Helena Štorchová
- Evoluce diploidně-polyploidního komplexu Chenopodium album agg. Společná anebo paralelní evoluce severoamerických a euroasijských druhů? , MŠMT , Helena Štorchová
- Tower of Babel: Mitochondrial-nuclear interactions in the gynodioecious species Silene vulgaris investigated with transcriptomics. , GA ČR , Helena Štorchová
- The role of hybridization and polyploidization in the evolution in Chenopodium album aggregate: From biosystematics to gene expression , GA ČR , Helena Štorchová
- Regulace kvetení u rodu Chenopodium studovaná pomocí transkriptomiky , GA ČR , Helena Štorchová
- Hunters or gardeners? Probing plant-microbe interactions in rootless carnivorous Utricularia from a transcriptomic perspective , GA ČR , Helena Štorchová
- Coexistence of native and inoculated arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi in the roots of host plants , GA ČR , Helena Štorchová
- Dynamic changes of mitochondrial DNA and transcription profiles in Silene vulgaris , GA ČR , Helena Štorchová
- The molecular genetic analysis of the candidate genes responsible for cytoplasmic male sterility in Silene vulgaris , MŠMT , Helena Štorchová
- The identification and studies of expression of the genes involved in photoperiodic flower induction in Chenopodium , GA ČR , Helena Štorchová
The evolution of the FT/TFL1 genes in Amaranthaceae and their expression patterns in the course of vegetative growth and flowering in Chenopodium rubrumG3: GENES, GENOMES, GENETICS 6 3065-3076 2016
- MOLECULAR GENETICS AND GENOMICS 290 1-9 2015
- PLANT SCIENCE 231 52-61 2015
The transcriptome of Utricularia vulgaris, a rootless plant with minimalist genome, reveals extreme alternative splicing and only moderate sequence similarity with Utricularia gibbaBMC PLANT BIOLOGY 15 78 2015 Fulltext: public PDF link
The introns in FLOWERING LOCUS T-LIKE (FTL) genes are useful markers for tracking paternity in tetraploid Chenopodium quinoa Willd.GENETIC RESOURCES AND CROP EVOLUTION 62 913-925 2015 Fulltext: PDF link on intranet only
High transcript abundance, RNA editing, and small RNAs in intergenic regions within the massive mitochondrial genome of the angiosperm Silene noctifloraBMC GENOMICS 16 938 2015
A dark-light transition triggers expression of the floral promoter CrFTL1 and downregulates CONSTANS-like genes in a short-day plant Chenopodium rubrumJOURNAL OF EXPERIMENTAL BOTANY 65 2137-2146 2014
Dinitrogen fixation associated with shoots of aquatic carnivorous plants: is it ecologically important?ANNALS OF BOTANY 114 125-133 2014
Cytokinin oxidase/dehydrogenase overexpression modifies antioxidant defense against heat, drought and their combination in Nicotiana tabacum plantsJOURNAL OF PLANT PHYSIOLOGY 171 1625- 1633 2014
Transcription of atp1 is influenced by both genomic configuration and nuclear background in the highly rearranged mitochondrial genomes of Silene vulgaris.PLANT MOLECULAR BIOLOGY 81 495-505 2013