Centre of Plant Structural and Functional Genomics
The Centre of Plant Structural and Functional Genomics has been established to study the structure and function of nuclear genome in higher plants. The main focus is on economically important crops like cereals, legumes, bananas and plantains.
Methodological approaches involve classical and molecular cytogenetics, flow cytometry and sorting, recombinant DNA techniques and construction of chromosome and chromosome-arm specific BAC libraries. Because of the complexity of research projects, the Laboratory collaborates with many research groups throughout the world. The laboratory staff is also involved in teaching and technology transfer, including consultancy services in the above mentioned areas.
Flow cytogenetics involve chromosome analysis and sorting using flow cytometry applications of sorted chromosomes include physical mapping using PCR, targeted isolation of molecular markers, isolation of low-copy (genic) sequences from specific genome regions, high-throughput physical mapping of DNA sequences by hybridization to DNA arrays, as well as HAPPY and optical mapping.
Chromosome-based BAC libraries recources
The most attractive use of sorted chromosomes is the production of chromosome- and chromosome arm-specific DNA libraries. Such libraries provide a permanent and easily accessible molecular resource specific for a particular part of the genome, is expected to have a major impact on wheat genomics.
Flow cytometry is powerful technique with many application. We used it for genome size estimation, ploidy measurement and flow karyotype analysis of higher plants.
We interested in molecular evolution and organization of Musa genome and serve as the Musa Genome Resources Centre (MGRC). The primary aim of the Centre is to support research activities of the Musa Genomics Consortium by distributing Musa genome resources to Consortium Members and by developing new resources.
Study on Festuca-Lolium complex
We are using molecular cytogenetic methods (FISH and GISH) to study genomic constitution of Festuca × Lolium hybrids, chromosome pairing during meiosis, and to map BAC clones on chromosomes of Festuca pratensis. In collaboration with other labs, we also developed set of introgression lines of all F. pratensis chromosomes in tetraploid L. multiflorum and DArT chip for five species within Festuca-Lolium complex.
head of the laboratorysenior scientist
- Prof. Ing. Jaroslav Doležel DrSc.
graduated technical assistant
- ing. Petr Navratil
- Ing. Radoslava Kvasnič...
- Mgr. Martina Bednářová
- Dark matter in plant cell nuclei – characterization of nuclear proteins. , GA ČR , Beáta Petrovská
- Spolupráce s Bioversity International na globální analýze a uchovávání genetické diverzity banánovníku , Veřejná soutěž ve výzkumu, vývoji a inovacích , Jaroslav Doležel
- Evolution and function of complex plant genomes , GA ČR , Jaroslav Doležel
- Physical map of wheat chromosome arm 7DS and its use to clone a Russian wheat aphid resistance gene , GA ČR , Hana Šimková
- Sex chromosome evolution - chromosome-specific genomics in genus Silene , GA ČR , Jan Šafář
- Will orchids reshape our understanding of genome-wide processes? Solving the enigma of progressively partial endoreduplication , GA ČR , Jan Vrána
- New genomic technology for the alogamic cultivated plant breeding for improving utility traits , MZE NAZV , Jaroslav Doležel
- Genome interactions in interspecific hybrids xFestulolium , GA ČR , David Kopecky
- Fine Mapping and Candidate Gene Analysis of the Flowering Time Gene on Wheat , GA ČR , Jan Šafář
- Physical map of the wheat chromosome 4AL and positional cloning of a gene for yield , GA ČR , Jaroslav Doležel
- Aurora kinases and their role in cell division of acentrosomal plant cells , GA ČR , Beáta Petrovská
- Comparative genome analysis in banana (Musa spp.) using 454 sequencing , GA AV , Eva Hřibová
- Genomics for Triticeae Improvement , FP7 , Jaroslav Doležel
- Construction of BAC DNA libraries specific for chromosome 4AL, and positional cloning of gene for adult plant resistance to powdery mildew in wheat , GA ČR , Miroslav Valárik
- Construction of physical maps of the D genome of wheat using the chromosome-based strategy , MŠMT , Jaroslav Doležel
- Development and use of a DArT chip for breeding new cultivars of xFestulolium , MZE NAZV , Jaroslav Doležel
- Creation of resources for wheat genomics and map-based cloning of resistance genes from chromosome 7D , GA ČR , Hana Šimková
- Cytogenetic mapping of genome of meadow fescue (Festuca pratensis Huds.) , GA ČR , David Kopecky
- Molecular organization and evolution of the 45S rDNA locus in banana (Musa spp.) , GA AV , Jaroslav Doležel
- Integrated research of the plant genome , MŠMT , Jaroslav Doležel
- FRONTIERS IN PLANT SCIENCE 7 2063 2017 Fulltext: PDF link on intranet only
The in silico identification and characterization of a bread wheat/Triticum militinae introgression linePLANT BIOTECHNOLOGY JOURNAL 15 249-256 2017 Fulltext: PDF link on intranet only
The karyotype of Agropyron cristatum and its comparison with that of bread wheat using FISH with single gene probesInternational Plant & Animal Genome XXV 2017 Fulltext: public PDF link
UNcleProt (Universal Nuclear Protein database of barley): The first nuclear protein database that distinguishes proteins from different phases of the cell cycleNEOPLASMA 8 70-80 2017 Fulltext: PDF link on intranet only
Development of intron targeting (IT) markers specific for chromosome arm 4VS of Haynaldia villosa by chromosome sorting and next-generation sequencingBMC GENOMICS 18 167 2017 Fulltext: PDF link on intranet only
Rye B chromosomes encode a functional Argonaute-like protein with in vitro slicer activities similar to its A chromosome paralogNEW PHYTOLOGIST 213 916-928 2017 Fulltext: PDF link on intranet only
Molecular and cytological characterization of the global Musa germplasm collection provides insights into the treasure of banana diversityBIODIVERSITY AND CONSERVATION 26 801-824 2017 Fulltext: PDF link on intranet only
Multiple horizontal transfers of nuclear ribosomal genes between phylogenetically distinct grass lineagesPROCEEDINGS OF THE NAS OF THE USA 114 1726-1731 2017 Fulltext: PDF link on intranet only
Characterization of new allele influencing flowering time in bread wheat introgressed from Triticum militinaeNEW PHYTOLOGIST 33 718-727 2016 Fulltext: PDF link on intranet only
Orthology Guided Transcriptome Assembly of Italian ryegrass and meadow fescue for single-nucleotide polymorphism discoveryTHE PLANT GENOME 9 1-14 2016 Fulltext: PDF link on intranet only