Centre of Plant Structural and Functional Genomics
The Centre of Plant Structural and Functional Genomics has been established to study the structure and function of nuclear genome in higher plants. The main focus is on economically important crops like cereals, legumes, bananas and plantains.
Methodological approaches involve classical and molecular cytogenetics, flow cytometry and sorting, recombinant DNA techniques and construction of chromosome and chromosome-arm specific BAC libraries. Because of the complexity of research projects, the Laboratory collaborates with many research groups throughout the world. The laboratory staff is also involved in teaching and technology transfer, including consultancy services in the above mentioned areas.
Flow cytogenetics involve chromosome analysis and sorting using flow cytometry applications of sorted chromosomes include physical mapping using PCR, targeted isolation of molecular markers, isolation of low-copy (genic) sequences from specific genome regions, high-throughput physical mapping of DNA sequences by hybridization to DNA arrays, as well as HAPPY and optical mapping.
Chromosome-based BAC libraries recources
The most attractive use of sorted chromosomes is the production of chromosome- and chromosome arm-specific DNA libraries. Such libraries provide a permanent and easily accessible molecular resource specific for a particular part of the genome, is expected to have a major impact on wheat genomics.
Flow cytometry is powerful technique with many application. We used it for genome size estimation, ploidy measurement and flow karyotype analysis of higher plants.
We interested in molecular evolution and organization of Musa genome and serve as the Musa Genome Resources Centre (MGRC). The primary aim of the Centre is to support research activities of the Musa Genomics Consortium by distributing Musa genome resources to Consortium Members and by developing new resources.
Study on Festuca-Lolium complex
We are using molecular cytogenetic methods (FISH and GISH) to study genomic constitution of Festuca × Lolium hybrids, chromosome pairing during meiosis, and to map BAC clones on chromosomes of Festuca pratensis. In collaboration with other labs, we also developed set of introgression lines of all F. pratensis chromosomes in tetraploid L. multiflorum and DArT chip for five species within Festuca-Lolium complex.
head of the laboratorysenior scientist
- Mgr. Jan Bartoš Ph.D.
- Eliška Čamková DiS.
- Ing. Radoslava Kvasnič...
- Spolupráce s Bioversity International na globální analýze a uchovávání genetické diverzity banánovníku , Veřejná soutěž ve výzkumu, vývoji a inovacích , Jaroslav Doležel
- Evolution and function of complex plant genomes , GA ČR , Jaroslav Doležel
- Physical map of wheat chromosome arm 7DS and its use to clone a Russian wheat aphid resistance gene , GA ČR , Hana Šimková
- Sex chromosome evolution - chromosome-specific genomics in genus Silene , GA ČR , Jan Šafář
- Will orchids reshape our understanding of genome-wide processes? Solving the enigma of progressively partial endoreduplication , GA ČR , Jan Vrána
- NATURE COMMUNICATIONS 13 1607 2022 Fulltext: PDF link on intranet only
Karyotype differentiation in cultivated chickpea revealed by oligopainting fluorescence in situ hybridizationFRONTIERS IN PLANT SCIENCE 12 791303 2022 Fulltext: PDF link on intranet only
Draft sequencing crested wheatgrass chromosomes identified evolutionary structural changes and genes and facilitated the development of SSR markersINTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MOLECULAR SCIENCES 23 3191 2022 Fulltext: public PDF link
- PLANT GENOME 15 e20100 2022 Fulltext: PDF link on intranet only
- INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MOLECULAR SCIENCES 23 3821 2022 Fulltext: PDF link on intranet only
Fine structure and transcription dynamics of bread wheat ribosomal DNA loci deciphered by a multi-omics approachPLANT GENOME 15 e20191 2022 Fulltext: PDF link on intranet only
Genomic sequencing of Thinopyrum elongatum chromosome arm 7EL, carrying fusarium head blight resistance, and characterization of its impact on the transcriptome of the introgressed line CS‑7ELBMC GENOMICS 23 228 2022 Fulltext: PDF link on intranet only
- NATURE COMMUNICATIONS 13 2001 2022 Fulltext: PDF link on intranet only
- CZECH JOURNAL OF GENETICS AND PLANT BREEDING 58 96-112 2022 Fulltext: PDF link on intranet only
Transfer of the ph1b deletion chromosome 5B from chinese spring wheat into a winter wheat line and induction of chromosome rearrangements in wheat-Aegilops biuncialis hybridsFRONTIERS IN PLANT SCIENCE 13 875676 2022 Fulltext: PDF link on intranet only