Centre of Plant Structural and Functional Genomics
The Centre of Plant Structural and Functional Genomics has been established to study the structure and function of nuclear genome in higher plants. The main focus is on economically important crops like cereals, legumes, bananas and plantains.
Methodological approaches involve classical and molecular cytogenetics, flow cytometry and sorting, recombinant DNA techniques and construction of chromosome and chromosome-arm specific BAC libraries. Because of the complexity of research projects, the Laboratory collaborates with many research groups throughout the world. The laboratory staff is also involved in teaching and technology transfer, including consultancy services in the above mentioned areas.
Flow cytogenetics involve chromosome analysis and sorting using flow cytometry applications of sorted chromosomes include physical mapping using PCR, targeted isolation of molecular markers, isolation of low-copy (genic) sequences from specific genome regions, high-throughput physical mapping of DNA sequences by hybridization to DNA arrays, as well as HAPPY and optical mapping.
Chromosome-based BAC libraries recources
The most attractive use of sorted chromosomes is the production of chromosome- and chromosome arm-specific DNA libraries. Such libraries provide a permanent and easily accessible molecular resource specific for a particular part of the genome, is expected to have a major impact on wheat genomics.
Flow cytometry is powerful technique with many application. We used it for genome size estimation, ploidy measurement and flow karyotype analysis of higher plants.
We interested in molecular evolution and organization of Musa genome and serve as the Musa Genome Resources Centre (MGRC). The primary aim of the Centre is to support research activities of the Musa Genomics Consortium by distributing Musa genome resources to Consortium Members and by developing new resources.
Study on Festuca-Lolium complex
We are using molecular cytogenetic methods (FISH and GISH) to study genomic constitution of Festuca × Lolium hybrids, chromosome pairing during meiosis, and to map BAC clones on chromosomes of Festuca pratensis. In collaboration with other labs, we also developed set of introgression lines of all F. pratensis chromosomes in tetraploid L. multiflorum and DArT chip for five species within Festuca-Lolium complex.
head of the laboratorysenior scientist
- Prof. Ing. Jaroslav Doležel DrSc.
graduated technical assistant
- Eliška Čamková DiS.
- Ing. Radoslava Kvasnič...
- Spolupráce s Bioversity International na globální analýze a uchovávání genetické diverzity banánovníku , Veřejná soutěž ve výzkumu, vývoji a inovacích , Jaroslav Doležel
- Evolution and function of complex plant genomes , GA ČR , Jaroslav Doležel
- Physical map of wheat chromosome arm 7DS and its use to clone a Russian wheat aphid resistance gene , GA ČR , Hana Šimková
- Sex chromosome evolution - chromosome-specific genomics in genus Silene , GA ČR , Jan Šafář
- Will orchids reshape our understanding of genome-wide processes? Solving the enigma of progressively partial endoreduplication , GA ČR , Jan Vrána
- FRONTIERS IN GENETICS 11 891 2020 Fulltext: PDF link on intranet only
Flow cytometric characterisation of the complex polyploid genome of Saccharum officinarum and modern sugarcane cultivarsSCIENTIFIC REPORTS 9 19362 2020 Fulltext: PDF link on intranet only
- FRONTIERS IN PLANT SCIENCE 10 1787 2020 Fulltext: PDF link on intranet only
The improved assembly of 7DL chromosome provides insight into the structure and evolution of bread wheatPLANT BIOTECHNOLOGY JOURNAL 18 732-742 2020 Fulltext: PDF link on intranet only
- NATURE COMMUNICATIONS 11 1123 2020 Fulltext: PDF link on intranet only
Aegilops umbellulata introgression carrying leaf rust and stripe rust resistance genes Lr76 and Yr70 located to 9.47-Mb region on 5DS telomeric end through a combination of chromosome sorting and sequencingTHEORETICAL AND APPLIED GENETICS 133 903-915 2020 Fulltext: PDF link on intranet only
- INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MOLECULAR SCIENCES 21 2183 2020 Fulltext: PDF link on intranet only
A flow cytometry-based analysis to establish a cell cycle synchronization protocol for Saccharum spp.SCIENTIFIC REPORTS 10 5016 2020 Fulltext: PDF link on intranet only
LYS3 encodes a prolamin-box-binding transcription factor that controls embryo growth in barley and wheatJOURNAL OF CEREAL SCIENCE 93 102965 2020 Fulltext: PDF link on intranet only
- COMPUTATIONAL AND STRUCTURAL BIOTECHNOLOGY JOURNAL 18 1113-1119 2020 Fulltext: PDF link on intranet only