Laboratory of Plant Reproduction
We study a molecular background of flowering in the genus Chenopodium and cytoplasmic male sterility in Silene vulgaris. Both model plants are members of the same order –Caryophyllales. Interest in plant reproduction and plant evolution arose from previous projects focused on the genetic diversity of wild plant species.
The genus Chenopodium contains both short-day and long-day plant species. A short-day species Chenopodium rubrum has been a traditional model of flowering investigated for a long time. A surprising feature of C. rubrum is its sensitivity to photoperiodic induction at seedling stage - at age of about five days. We have identified Chenopodium homologues of the genes CONSTANS and Flowering locus T, which play crucial roles in the course of photoperiodic induction of flowering in Arabidopsis thaliana. We study their expression in seedlings and mature plants of C. rubrum under various physiological conditions.
We noticed that FT- like genes could serve as molecular markers, particularly informative for phylogenetic studies of the complex group C. album sensu lato.
The second project, currently starting in our lab, is an investigation of cytoplasmic male sterility in Silene vulgaris. We focus on variation in mitochondrial transcription among natural populations as well as on the basis of inheritance of mitochondrial DNA. We are searching for the genes encoding cytoplasmic male sterility in this species.
We collaborate with Radomira Vankova who studies metabolism of cytokinins in transgenic tobacco under drought stress. We benefit from methods of plant gene expression analysis, adopted in the course of investigation of flowering (qRT PCR, Northerns with DIG labeled probes).
- Diamanty v prachu. Genetické základy květní indukce u zástupců rodu Chenopodium s kontrastní odpovědí na fotoperiodu. , GA ČR , Helena Štorchová
- Evoluce diploidně-polyploidního komplexu Chenopodium album agg. Společná anebo paralelní evoluce severoamerických a euroasijských druhů? , MŠMT , Helena Štorchová
- Tower of Babel: Mitochondrial-nuclear interactions in the gynodioecious species Silene vulgaris investigated with transcriptomics. , GA ČR , Helena Štorchová
- The role of hybridization and polyploidization in the evolution in Chenopodium album aggregate: From biosystematics to gene expression , GA ČR , Helena Štorchová
- Regulace kvetení u rodu Chenopodium studovaná pomocí transkriptomiky , GA ČR , Helena Štorchová
- Hunters or gardeners? Probing plant-microbe interactions in rootless carnivorous Utricularia from a transcriptomic perspective , GA ČR , Helena Štorchová
- Coexistence of native and inoculated arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi in the roots of host plants , GA ČR , Helena Štorchová
- Dynamic changes of mitochondrial DNA and transcription profiles in Silene vulgaris , GA ČR , Helena Štorchová
- The molecular genetic analysis of the candidate genes responsible for cytoplasmic male sterility in Silene vulgaris , MŠMT , Helena Štorchová
- The identification and studies of expression of the genes involved in photoperiodic flower induction in Chenopodium , GA ČR , Helena Štorchová
Chenopodium ficifolium flowers under long days without upregulation of FLOWERING LOCUS T (FT) homologsPLANTA 250 2111-2125 2019
- BMC PLANT BIOLOGY 19 568 2019 (External fulltext)
Hybridization and polyploidization within the Chenopodium album aggregate analysed by means of cytological and molecular markersMOLECULAR PHYLOGENETICS AND EVOLUTION 129 189-201 2018
Homologous recombination changes the context of Cytochrome b transcription in the mitochondrial genome of Silene vulgaris KRABMC GENOMICS 19 874 2018
- JOURNAL OF EXPERIMENTAL BOTANY 68 1599-1612 2017
Inoculation effects on root-colonizing arbuscular mycorrhizal fungal communities spread beyond directly inoculated plantsPLoS ONE 12(7) e0181525 2017
Evaluation of reference genes for reverse transcription quantitative real-time PCR (RT-qPCR) studies in Silene vulgaris considering the method of cDNA preparation.PLoS ONE 12(8) e0183470 2017
- INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MOLECULAR SCIENCES 18 2429 2017
Real-time PCR quantification of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi: does the use of nuclear or mitochondrial markers make a difference?MYCORRHIZA 27 577-585 2017
The evolution of the FT/TFL1 genes in Amaranthaceae and their expression patterns in the course of vegetative growth and flowering in Chenopodium rubrumG3: GENES, GENOMES, GENETICS 6 3065-3076 2016